You remain the owner of the data that you contribute to Wildlife Insights. You may remove your data using the tools provided in the WI platform or request to remove your data by contacting [email protected].
If your account is terminated, your data will remain on Wildlife Insights unless removed by CI or by your request. If you are an Organization Owner, you may specify who will be assigned control of your data. If you are not an Organization Owner, your data will be reassigned to the Owner of the Organization that is associated with the data.
License to Wildlife Insights
All uses of your data described below will be with attribution to you and/or your Organization. CI may:
- Use your data to develop or improve computer vision (“CV”) models for the purpose of advancing technology related to conservation. CI may sub-license data to third parties, including Google, only for this purpose.
- Use your data to develop derived regional and global analytical products. These products will not identify individual projects or locations, but will be aggregated at a suitable spatial scale (e.g. global, regional or national level). These products may be publicly available on the WI platform, used in online forums, in presentations and in peer-reviewed or other publications.
- Sub-license your data to WI Core Members to develop derived regional and global analytical products as described in section 2 above.
- Use parts of your data for WI publicity materials or on WI’s social media accounts.
License to Data Users
- The Creative Commons Zero (CC0) license permits a user to share, adapt and modify the work, even for commercial purposes, without asking permission. You may assign this license to images and metadata.
- The Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 (CC BY 4.0) license permits a data user to share and adapt material with appropriate attribution, including for commercial purposes. You may assign this license to images and metadata.
- The Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 (CC BY-NC 4.0) permits a data user to share and adapt material with appropriate attribution, only for noncommercial purposes. You may assign this license only to images.
You may keep data private for up to 48 months by electing to embargo a Project. The embargo period is measured separately for each deployment in a project, beginning on the date images are uploaded into the deployment.
The images and metadata within an embargoed project will only be available to Users who you specifically grant access to. However, basic project information about an embargoed project (e.g., the Project Name, Objectives and Methodology) will be made publicly available on the WI Explore page.
Access to Sensitive Species Data
WI will restrict public access to the exact locations of sensitive species. The list of sensitive species is based on best practices and expert consultations and currently includes all terrestrial vertebrates (mammals, amphibians, reptiles, and birds) with IUCN RedList categories Critically Endangered, Endangered, and Vulnerable.
For any deployment that contains sensitive species, WI will fuzz the exact coordinates of the deployment and truncate the coordinates to 0.1 decimal degree (~11km). The fuzzed coordinates will be provided in lieu of the exact coordinates in all public downloads. Public downloads will also hide the Location Name and will randomize the Deployment ID for all public downloads so that this information cannot be used to determine the exact location of a deployment.
WI will not publicly display any image tagged as Human. While images of humans will not be available for public download, a record of the image (e.g., the date, time, identification) will be available for public download.
Within a Data User’s private workspace, images of humans may be stored, hidden or deleted by the user.
- Attribution: If you download public data from the WI platform, you must clearly provide attribution as required by the license assigned to the dataset or image. Wildlife Insights recommends citing projects using the citation format provided on the project’s public page and the project’s download package.
- Charts, Graphs, & Maps. Derived products (charts, graphs and maps) produced by WI may be used according to the license assigned to them. If a derived product uses data from third parties, WI may not be able to grant permissions to the original data. In these cases, please contact the third-parties directly to ask about data permissions.
- Endorsement: You must not imply that Wildlife Insights endorses your use of the data, or use the Wildlife Insights logo in conjunction with such use.